background

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Opening Day

Ever notice how whenever there is a new something there is also a grand opening? I guess you could say that this is my grand opening. This blog is all shiny and new. It is just waiting to be filled with thoughts, comments, pictures, and who knows what else. It is ready to have it's character, it's personality defined.

This will be my first attempt of creating and keeping a blog going. I have hesitated before now in doing this as it is something that everyone is doing. It seems that everyone has a blog. And just like with their digital cameras that they own they (everyone) feels that it automatically makes them an expert in it.

The truth in fact is much harsher. Many people who own a digital camera and think that they are going to be the biggest thing to hit National Geographic since the era of slide film, or that they will make millions in the wedding photography trade. Can we say delusional?

If you are one of these people, wake up! Having a fancy camera does not make you a photographer. Having a great camera with all the bells and whistles will not mean you will have the perfect pictures. The camera does not make the photographer. It takes year of learning, training, trial and error before you can say that you are good, let alone great.

So what makes a professional? Sure the right equipment helps, but what really makes a photographer a professional and successful is consistency. Being able to get the shot perfect every time you take the picture. Having the knowledge that 1+2 will always equal 3. And finally being able to meld the technical aspects with the aesthetic.

There is nothing better setting up a shot and knowing that it is perfect. Just as it is for the athletes knowing they will sink the winning basket before they even throw the ball. And again having your results confirmed a day later.

That being said. I am not a "blogger." I have this account and I will make it a hobby of mine. Perhaps through trial and error I will one day learn what it is to be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment