"Rejoice evermore, and in everything give thanks." D&C 98:1
That is the quote on the cover of my journal - the journal that I got at the passing of my father. It's been hard to remember to rejoice. This past week has been extra tough. Dad has been close in my thoughts. Saturday was his birthday, and it's spring (time for planting the garden and yard work).
Thankfully we didn't spend Saturday alone. Rather we gathered those that could to the cemetery. The weather matched my feelings - it was unsettled. Part of it was nice and other parts were stormy. We stayed at the cemetery while the skies were clear but we found we had to hurry along because of the storm. I like to think that it was Dad telling us to go - that we had spent enough time that day mourning.
The rest of the day was a bit more cheerful. We had lunch, went to a cheese factory, explored the valley a bit (saw Mom's old house, and the frame of Grandpa's old car), and even went to a girls camp to slide on the big slide. We learned that if the sign said not to do something then it probably equaled a whole lot of fun. Example - Do not use when wet. That equaled a really fast ride, and the fear of landing in the mud puddle at the end only added the enjoyment. In the end, only Josh landed in the mud.
So, it was my family that gave me cause to rejoice this week. We are so close and I am very blessed. I came from a functioning family. I had both a mother and a father. My siblings and I talk and get along. My father was present in my life, and aware of me and my needs. He supported me through struggles and gave me wise council when I needed it. He was steady and constant. He taught me about photography, to love this world God gave us, to help others, to work hard, to take care of the little things (as then the big things would take care of themselves), to love God and the Gospel, and that things are just things - they can be replaced. Mom and Dad taught me what a successful marriage is about and what to look for in a spouse.
My dad was at my wedding. He walked me down the aisle. We got to dance during which, he was able to tell me how much he loved and approved of Matt. I am so glad that they were able to meet. Truly my dad loved Matt like a son.
Matt met my dad. He got to know the man that was my whole world, and the man that helped make me who I am today. He was able to understand my loss because he loved my dad too. Matt had a personal relationship each of us kids had with Dad.
Mostly though, I was reminded that this life isn't the end. The trials and struggles faced here will be small and short lived. I have a forever family. We will be together again. Thank you Dad for all that you taught and the love that you shared.

No comments:
Post a Comment