I've had several jobs in the past that have given me some real doozies for schedules. This day and this week though take the cake.
Let me give some back story. I work for a staffing company. Companies call us when their people call of sick or when they find they need someone unexpectedly. My job is to find them qualified people to cover the shift. It is usually unplanned and a major pain in the you know what. To top it off We pass around the on call phone. That's right one week out of the month the companies get to call me anytime day or night and I have to respond. I don't get to stop calling untill the order is filled or untill the Client has lost all hope and written me off.
Which brings us to this week. One of our biggest clients haired on ten of our employees two months ago and then ten more last month and then another 7 or so far this month. They then gave us a big schedule for the week to fill. A schedule that we would have struggled to meet with all of our past employees. So the hired on people, combined with the normall turn-over, and the slow down on applicants has created a nightmare.
We have had 5 orientations for this client in 5 days. We held another 2 orientations for another client one of those days as well. We have had to stay late at the office calling and trying to get more people pulled out of thin air. It has been difficult to say the least, and disheartening at times.
Last night I worked late and came home. Matt got home even later (we didn't get to bed till after 11) and we were up this morning at 4:45 am. He had to get to work in Utah for an 8 am appointment and I had to be at a check in for one of the Clients at 6:30. Again I stayed late at work. Thankfully I got to eat cause now it's 8pm and I'm back at the office cause a third client called and we have to do another orientation, drug test people and get them to work tonight.
Thankfully I'm not the one with the on call phone. And thankfully I'm at work for a company keeping role only. Sadly I won't get paid for the two plus hours I'll be here. Even more sad, next week will be worse with more early check ins, and I will have the curse on call phone....
No comments:
Post a Comment