Technology is so amazing. But let me back it up a bit... Matt and I had talked awhile ago and we both expressed a desire that our children, when we have them, would grow up bilingual.
Matt did some reading and found the easiest way would be for a parent to always speak in English and the other parent to only speak in Spanish. Now the kid will learn the words and sort it all out eventually. So for a bit the kids will use both Spanish and English in a sentence. This could be challenging for anyone that only speaks one language. Luckily for me I know a handful of nouns....but verbs are another matter.
I had wanted to learn Spanish for sometime as I would be more desirable in the job field. My other thought is that I'd my kids know Spanish and I don't then I'll feel left out at times or worse they could hide things from me easier. So now I have to learn it.
Matt has tried teaching me but we'd rather do other things in the evening then practice another language. So the learning was slow.
Enter technology. Turns out there are several apps to help teach foreign languages. I found a couple that we're even free. I was off and learning. Turns out it is pretty good, aka the accent isn't horrible.
About the time I started present tense verbs is when I let Matt know what I was up too. He was impressed and confirmed that the accent is decent. He is now thinking of getting the same app so he can learn French.
Granted I have learned Russian so it makes it a little easier to learn a third language. Russian has a formal and informal language so that's a plus. Another plus is that Spanish doesn't have a completely separate alphabet like Russian.
Tomorrow, we're going to the library to get a bunch of children's books and some early readers. Matt hates going to read some to me and the children's books I'll read myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment