background

Friday, October 4, 2013

Winding Down

The harvest and canning is winding down for this chick. Thank goodness. I've had so many pears in my house lately and not to mention the fruit flies have about packed me off.

Now I know I've canned a lot but until today I didn't quite realize how much in the terms of numbers. I had been focusing on one day at a time while canning and still felt overwhelmed more then once. Today I get to look back and see just how much I've done. And if you're reading this then you get to see too.

(in no particular order. Qts =quarts and half = half pints)

7 qts pear sauce - I gave up on bottling the pears. The skins were going soft but the fruit wasn't ripening any mode and I was tired of pealing.
18 qts pears - two of which didn't seal. So I'll keep one and give the other to Mom.
14 halfs vanilla pear jam. -it is a softer set of jam I decided then what I'm use to.
10 halfs raspberry jam.
1 pint raspberry jam
6 halfs huckleberry jam
5 halfs plum jam
8 qts winterberry syrup
6 halfs pepper jelly
16 pints salsa - Matt already are a pint. Interesting to note I gave a way a pint before canning and we ate 3 pints of it fresh. So we would've had 20 pints.
4 halfs huckleberries in a light syrup.
5 pints raspberries
6 qts apple pie filling
34 qts peaches
4 qts beans
57 pints beans - have given 5 away to the lady that gave me jars. And I think Kim wants some too...

I have frozen:
4 pints raspberries
4 qts or so of ruhbarb
13 cups shredded zucchini
4 pints salsa
52 pints corn
5 cookie sheets full of sliced zucchini

In addition I had leftover from the previous year (and some given to me from others):
7 qts peaches
1 pint huckleberry jam
9 pints carrots
8 qts rhubarb syrup
6 halfs rhubarb jam
4 halfs peach jam

I will be doing up some apple sauce tonight. And a coworker may bring me more tomatoes from his trip to Utah. If he does then Matt will be a very happy man as I'll be doing three more batches of salsa. Other then those things I just have carrots to bottle. I can't believe the madness has an end.

Now, as I've said before I couldn't have done this without the help and support or friends and family. Several have helped gather in the produce, weeding in the garden, giving me extra fruit and veggies, giving me bottles...Mom helped me so much with picking, jacking and skivvies get the corn and Matt helped me peal pears. Lol and yes he helped me by being a taste tester. Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment