background

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Pear jam

I've had a few requests for the recipe of my vanilla pear jam recipe. I can't take credit for it. I got the idea off the internet and then modifies it with the instructions on the MCP box. But here it is.

First you have to make vanilla sugar. Take two or more vanilla beans and slice them open. Scrape out all the seeds. Place the seeds and now empty pods into 6 cups of sugar. Cover and let sit for about 3 days or more. The longer it sits the yummier it gets.

You'll want to stir the sugar and couple times a day. Also remember to remove the pods before using.

Now for the jam.

Finely chop 4 cups of pears. Remember to peal and core them....just sayin. The recipe calls for 1/4 cup lemon juice so I tossed my cut pears in the juice as I was chopping.

Add the MCP packet and lemon juice if you hadn't already. Boil. Dump in all the vanilla sugar and boil for 4 min. Skim off the foam and poor into bottles. Process as per directions in water bath.

This made 7 cups or 7 half pints. When I made it it didn't set up as well as I would like. I did use some ascorbic acid while chopping pears and don't know how that would've effected it. Next time I may leave it out but I'll probably put in a pouch and a half of MCP.

No comments:

Post a Comment