background

Monday, March 14, 2011

Yes and No

So I went to Utah this weekend.

I came home with mixed feelings. I met with my cousin and potential business partner. We started the process of building a business....together....

I just don't know any more. I want to run a business and while it would be nice to have a partner in crime, it is also not so nice. I have one boss and slave driver at work and I don't want to have another one in any sense. I honestly like being my own boss when it comes to photography, and while I may not push it as much as I could, I know what value I bring to the table. I am unique in what I do and I know what I am looking for.

So the cons from my meeting:
1) she wants us to work for free and put all the money back into the business buying equipment and such. I want to compensate myself at least $10.00 an hour for my time. If I don't, then why would I take a day off from work to shoot a wedding?

2) pricing. She wants me to price my weddings starting at $700.00 and that is just me showing up for one hour. I honestly thought my weddings starting at $600.00 for two locations and three hours of time was fair. In Idaho the weddings are now starting at $700.00 and most of them come with CDs (which I am not doing)

3) direction. She is wanting to photograph all events, like soccer games and ballet recitals. Only she wants to shoot the entire game/performance. I honestly don't want to do this. I have no interest in this area.

My real interest lies in product photography and nature photography. I am now considering going back to school to get a degree in graphic design and then trying for a spot as an in-house photographer for someone.

The fact that we are looking at changing the name of the business means my name "light expressions" would be free for me to sell my nature prints. So that is a plus side. The other plus side is that our business would have the great potential of growing faster with the two of us.

I just don't know what to do anymore. I would welcome thoughts and ideas. I would also list my website here: www.lightexpressionsphoto.com for a reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment