Still left to do: Send out the million or so thank yous I owe everyone, clean my house, and more importantly organize it. I don't know if it will all get done this year or not. But what is done looks good. I'll post pics when/if I ever get it done.
Now onto why you pulled my page up today - the honeymoon.
Matt and I left for Colorado Sunday morning. It was a beautiful drive as the leaves were just starting to change. The best part was how clear the air was. We stayed in a bed and breakfast in Steamboat Springs. It was a charming place and our hosts had a lot of good recommendations. Their first was to eat at this little place called the Laundry. It used to be an old laundry. They kept what they could of the old brick work and the faded sign on the outside of the building too. The food was interesting to say the least and some dishes were even very tasty. My favorite was the Gorgonzola lemon cheesecake.
Monday we spend the day two hours away in quaint George Town. This place is literally nestled between two mountains and because of this it won't ever get huge. I love this view of the town (taken from the bridge the train goes over)
There are over 200 old Victorian buildings in town. We had a lot of fun exploring and taking in the sights.
We did ride the train between Georgetown and Silver Plume and toured the old silver mine.
Here is a view of the bridge we drove over and the river. It was a perfect day. not too hot and so we rode in the open air car.
Matt was surprised that I would let someone take our picture. Well, not take our picture but that I'd let them use my camera. Silly, man, we need proof we were there.
They did stamp our tickets.
This is an old train they were restoring at Silver Plume. The train only stopped for 15 min so we didn't look around much. I think that if it weren't the last train that they allowed the tours we could've gotten off for an hr or more.
This is the train as it leaves us for our tour of the mine. Matt and I bought tickets not knowing that there were differences in the tours at the mine. One tour (the tickets we bought) focused more on the top and the outside operation of things. There was this other tour that would have been $8.00 more and focused on the inside of the mine. Both tours you get to see the inside of the mine, just one you get to see more. Matt talked to the tour guides and they let us switch.
Old mine cars on the way into the mine.
This is called dragons blood and indicates a vein of silver. While in the mine we learned that it is started by finding a large vein of silver from the surface. Miners would then start digging a tunnel mile(s) away and start digging to the payload. They weren't making money till they reached the vein. Along the way they hoped to find other veins and so there would be side tunnels if they saw anything promising.
Some equipment, not sure what it is or what it does. I was too busy taking pictures at this point to pay attention.A cistern they rebuilt. The other neat thing that I sort of knew was that when the mine closed they just blasted the entrance and left everything as is. The mine closed when the market for silver dropped and as the min is now under the interstate it will probably never be a working mine again. They never did hit the payload .
Matt said he needed to have a turn at taking pictures of me. Said that I had taken too many of him during the day. So I let him....
The train coming to pick us up after the tour.
Here is a view from the train. I was a great ride. I got a lot of pictures, too many to put up. You all would be bored.
We got back to the station at Georgetown and here is Matt waiting for me. Yep, I suspect he will be waiting for me many times more in the future.
After the ride we went in the search of suveniers. We found several in this little shop. We got a moose made out of birch bark that now sits on our bookshelf, a night light for the bathroom of an an aspen leaf, and Christmas ornaments.
Matt then bought me some aspen leaf earrings. These aspen leaves are real, that they dip in copper and gold to preserve. They are sssooo pretty and just love them.
Here is the cash registar from the shop we found all our treasures in.
We found a soda shop where we got ice cream and chocolate. Then continued wandering.
We found this old hotel that is now a museum. Sadly it was too late and they were closed. But while taking pictures of this old wall on the side of the building this nice man came out and aid we needed to go on around and see the courtyard of this place.
So we did. This place was amazing and the lighting was perfect. I had so much fun and spent a lot of time.
This shows the meat hooks as they would butcher their own meat for the guests....right in the courtyard...

While taking pictures, this lady shows up and tells us that we should drive up this pass just outside of town. Said the aspens were really pretty and the drive is worth it.
As it would take us way out of our way we drove up and back down the pass. The views were so pretty.

At the top of the pass, we were above the treeline and there were several people up there watching for bighorn sheep. We didn't have binoculars and I was starting to get hungry so we took some pictures and left.
One final view of Georgetown coming out of the pass.
Our trip was short but it was so much fun and well worth it. We want to go back next year but plan on going a week later so all the leaves will be changed.























I am so glad to see the honeymoon! I love the pictures. Keep us posted.
ReplyDeleteI concur with Des on that one! :) Nice pictures.
ReplyDeleteI love the pictures and things you have posted about your honeymoon. Would love to see more of the pictures. Looks and sounds like a real cool place to visit.
ReplyDelete