background

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Christmas Time

I’ve been plagued with headaches and migraines forever now it seems. And it has only gotten worse the past couple of months. I’ve tried several things to prevent them and then to treat them. I loved my visit to the chiropractor. He was a great guy and helped my head….sadly it was only temporary. He adjusted my neck four places, my upper back a few times and my left hip. He then gave me some exercise to do to help strengthen my back and neck. The idea is to improve my posture even more so (guess I shouldn’t have let my yoga slip) and that this will fix the tension my neck.

Sadly I still get them for more frequently than I think is normal. And before you ask I do drink water. I start the day with drinking water and I end the day with water. I also use essential oils to help with the pain (pain meds don’t always help and make me feel odd so I try to avoid them when possible) and sleep is my favorite defense. But then, I love my sleep.

That being said, I cope and still enjoy life. Christmas was awesome! Headaches and all. My family rented a cabin in Driggs, ID. As usual it was noisy and chaotic. And as per usual I had a blast! Let me also take this moment to remind my family, any that are reading, that I need copies of pictures from the trip. I know some of you took pictures at the cemetery and I didn’t have my camera at the time.

…BUT first I need to back up and tell about the loot I got. Matt really spoiled me this year. He kind of combined my Christmas and birthday into one (but that’s a whole other post). I received snow shoes! Yep I was most excited about them. I had told him I wanted to go snowshoeing for my birthday and was really hopeful that I’d get a ‘cute’ pair for Christmas. They are a light blue and as cute as snowshoes can be. I received and assortment of cute shirts (always got to have my clothes), coupons to give me free clothes at my next shopping trip, a food grinder attachment for my KitchenAid (now I only need the strainer and will have a way to make applesauce), hot curler set (I was just going to borrow Kim’s but now I don’t have too – and side note, can you believe that my hair is long enough to actually curl?), he made me an earring holder, and bought me a set of pots and pans.

Now the pots set I wasn’t thrilled about when I opened them. And he could tell. Most of you know already the trouble I had earlier this year with a set I had been trying to buy at JCPenny. The short of it was that after the third flawed set I sent them back and said I was done for the year and would maybe try again another year. I saw this set and didn’t want to open the box. I’m glad I finally did. This set came from Bed Bath and Beyond, and while it has less pans than the other set it is far superior. This set has a steaming pan which I’m so excited about and all the pans can go in the oven (the other set couldn’t do this). It is still a ceramic finish and they perform beautifully. I love this set! Another bonus, the cost of the individual pans is less than the other set. We will be able to afford the ‘extra’ pans we want.

Ok, back to the vacation. We rented this cabin….The first day we arrived I, as usual had a migraine so didn’t do much socializing and remember going to bed around 9. I woke up around 8 the next morning. Seriously the best sleep ever. Matt and I had to have our window opened a bit in our room it was so hot in that house! But I loved the bed it was super comfy and with the window open our room was a nice retreat when it got too hot.

So Thursday we were presented with a question of what to do. We went as a family to the cemetery to see Dad’s grave. The best part was when Jason hooked up two sleds to the back of his car and started pulling the kids around the cemetery. They were laughing and having so much fun. It wasn’t long before the adults got in on the fun too. In the end there were three sleds tied to the back of the car, everyone that wanted a ride had gotten one, there was no snow in the corners (having been worn away) and there were foot prints all over the graves….Yeah see, the final go arounds Jason didn’t stop, and tried to dump us from the sleds. So to get back on you’d run to the other side of the cemetery, Jason would slow down and bit and you’d dive for the sled. Matt’s hair was white by the end from the snow being kicked back at us. I just know Dad was there laughing with us. He certainly wouldn’t have wanted us to be sad and I just know if he had been there in person he would have joined in on the fun. (See Des, I was even nice and didn’t mention how you’d gotten the car stuck once….oops…)

That afternoon I took some migraine meds as my friend was back and slept all afternoon. I woke up to the pain being gone, and was able to join everyone downstairs for movies and visiting and games. I didn’t play the games but had fun watching everyone draw a picture on a paper plate on their head.






Friday morning Kim and I went to a trail and she taught me to skate ski. It is a hard sport. It takes a lot of work and I felt so out of shape. It didn’t help that the guy at the rental shop gave me the wrong boots. I didn’t get very far but was determined that I’d try it again. I’ll admit right now that skate skiing isn’t my sport. That afternoon Matt and I went snowshoeing. We took the camera and got some pictures. We took pictures till the battery died and the light started to fade.



Here are the snowshoeing pictures:

My brand new snowshoes!!!

Matt adjusting his straps. His are homemade :-)













 We got back to a nearly empty cabin and tested the water in the hot tub. Now the other two nights I had tested the water and it wasn’t even warm enough for me to bathe in (I like my showers HOT). Matt and nursed the temp up on the tub and I had made a final adjustment that morning. The thing read 104 but it felt maybe 95. Still it was finally warm enough for a soak. As there were no kids around and we faced a possibility of going to a drive in movie that night we decided to hurry up. Kim joined us (guess she figured the water had to be alright if I was getting in). We were able to soak for a good while before any kids joined us. After a quick coolish shower and a rushed dinner of homemade tacos (Jason made the best guacamole that we ate earlier in the day…oops) Mom, Kim and I rushed off to see Frozen at the drive in. It was a lot of fun and nope we didn’t freeze. We only needed to turn on the car three times during the movie and the last time was only clear up the fog. P.S. it was a super cute movie and I can’t wait to see it again.

Saturday morning dawned bright and early. I hurried and packed up my stuff. Kim and I went to tackle skate skiing a second time. (I had traded out my boots the afternoon before). It was amazing the difference the boots made. I still stopped a lot but I was much better. My form was better and my balance too. …Still isn’t my sport….

It was sad to see the end of the trip. We had so much fun. Great memories were made and I can’t wait for this year’s trip.

What about Sandy you ask? Well shoot, she stayed in a kennel in Pocatello. We got her back Saturday afternoon and she stank to high heaven. So Sandy was given a bath. And she is happily at home once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment