background

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Exodus

I have a handful of chapters left in Exodus. In fact I'll probably finish it today, provided I can find the motivation to. Since I'm way ahead of schedule though, I'm not complaining.

I've been thinking for a few days now that I haven't posted any new insights I've learned. You're probably all relieved...

I have had some, many in fact. I've just been reading so much in any given day that I didn't want to bombard anyone. And now I'm at the tail end and I'm finding it hard to buckle down and read these last few chapters. So i thought today was a good day for a post.

I'm past the part where Moses brings the Ten Commandments down to Israel. I have even waded through the endless (well they felt endless) chapters of the many examples given in the law. You know what I'm talking about: where if a man steals from someone how much does he have to give back and other such examples.

Now what i have learned about the Mosaic Law is this (scriptural references included): it was a strict law or ordinances designed to keep the children of Israel in remembrance of God and their duty towards Him (Mosiah 13:29-40). It was highly symbolic being filled with types and shadows which pointed toward Christ and His future Atonement (Jarom 1:11; Mosiah 3:14-15, 13:31; Alma 25:15, 34:14). It was given as a schoolmaster to bring Israel to Christ (Galatians 3:23-24). In short it wasn't a substitute for a higher law of the gospel, and it was only lesser in the sense of progressive steps. This doesn't mean that it was of lower importance or significance or even a lesser level of the truth.

How could they be less of the truth when they show us our proper relationship with God, teach the importance of family, and then show us how we are to treat overs? It is only lesser in the sense of it being the beginning. They are a foundation which are built upon. Now I'm not going to go over each one but in the coming posts I hope to show or document for myself some things I learned.

Oh and I didn't forget about the Passover. That is for sure coming as it is one my all time favorite Bible stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment